Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Must. Buy. Blocking Wires.

Mystery Stole 3

So I thought I'd save myself some money (and avoid the wait of ordering by mail--I'm impatient) by making my own blocking wires. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and couldn't find any of the welding wire I'd seen recommended. So I bought the thinnest wooden dowels I could find and some sandpaper and went to work.

I used a pencil sharpener to make some pointy tips and sanded down the entire length of the dowel. They're still a little too rough (I told you I am impatient!) and not thin enough, I don't think. I guess I'll break down and pick some up from eBay or KnitPicks. They're the same brand, but the ones on eBay are a little cheaper (the price of the wires+shipping is the same price that KnitPicks offers for the wires alone).

2 comments:

  1. Stainless steel welding wires are fantastic blockers-- and are a fraction of the cost of 'official' lace blockers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your MS3 stole is looking stunning. Please can I ask what size needles you are using as I am using the same yarn for my MS3?

    ReplyDelete