But I want to make Monkey socks. Everyone's been raving about them for months. Acutally, that fervor has died down somewhat--I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. I thought they looked nice, but it wasn't really calling my name. Maybe it was the colors in the original pattern--the yellows and greens and oranges aren't exactly my color, they kind of remind me of jars of baby food (no offense intended to those who like yellows and greens and oranges--I like them too, just not all together). But then my secret pal spoilee, Emily, showed a photograph of some RED ones that she made from her own handspun (gasp!) and well, you know what they say about rest and history. I want to get back to my wheel and spin!
But not yet. I'm busy working on the Mystery Stole 3. As of tonight, I've completed through row 190 (10 rows left of Clue 3). Clue 4 will be posted on Friday, and I'll have 2 weeks to work on it. I can't believe that I'm actually keeping up with this project. I don't consider myself a fast knitter at all.
I've also been working on Scheherezade and some stripey cotton socks from yarn my secret pal sent me. I decided this week that I'd send them to someone rather than keep them for myself. But they're coming along rather nicely. They're just plain and simple, perfect for stuffing into my purse to take to work for lunchtime knitting.
This is the first sock, which has long since been completed. I have about an inch and a half done one the second one, but no current photos.
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Wednesday, July 04, 2007
So I thought I'd save myself some money (and avoid the wait of ordering by mail--I'm impatient) by making my own blocking wires. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and couldn't find any of the welding wire I'd seen recommended. So I bought the thinnest wooden dowels I could find and some sandpaper and went to work.
I used a pencil sharpener to make some pointy tips and sanded down the entire length of the dowel. They're still a little too rough (I told you I am impatient!) and not thin enough, I don't think. I guess I'll break down and pick some up from eBay or KnitPicks. They're the same brand, but the ones on eBay are a little cheaper (the price of the wires+shipping is the same price that KnitPicks offers for the wires alone).
Sunday, July 01, 2007
I started knitting on the Mystery Stole 3 yesterday. So far, it's gone pretty smoothly, except I think that the beading might be a little TOO subtle. (You couldn't even tell the beads were there, could you!) The first two were a little bit challenging to put on, but once I figured out how to hold both needles and the crochet hook while putting the bead on, it went smoothly. I bought some other beads that were clear except for the hole was lined in silver. I think they'd pop out just a bit more, but I don't know if that would really look good with this color wool. It's kind of light brownish--well, an oatmeal color (imagine that!)--and I'm not sure how it looks with the silver of the bead. I don't know if the beads will stand out better once it's blocked or not. I think I might put it on a holder and start again from the other end with the other beads and see which I like better.
I really like this yarn--it's very soft. It's Lane Borgoseia Cashwool in the Oatmeal Colorway that I bought from The Loopy Ewe several weeks ago.