Monday, October 30, 2006
Here's the latest on my Eris cardigan. I worked on it for a couple of hours this past Tuesday when I was over at the Laundromat. That's really my best knitting time. No one is ever there, so I just sit around with my headphones on and knit. Best of all, I don't feel like I'm wasting time, because I can't really do much else during that time anyway! The color's acutally not too bad in this photo, except that it's a little darker in person.
Thursday, October 19, 2006
I've never done a meme before.
48 Things You Could Care Less About
1. FIRST NAME? Melissa
2. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? Not that I know of. My parents just liked the name. Along with lots of other parents that year--Melissa was the most popular girl's name the year I was born.
3. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY? I'm not really sure. It's been a couple of months, I think.
4. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? I actually really like my handwriting. I've always loved pens and paper and school supplies and I'm a big fan of handwritten letters. Lately I've gotten into fountain pens and dip pens and researching old styles of handwriting. I think that Spencerian script is pretty, and I'd like to learn it, but it's not practical for most things nowadays--it's kind of hard to read!
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCHMEAT? I like chicken or turkey or salami.
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Of course! Who wouldn't? ;)
7. DO YOU HAVE A JOURNAL? I do. I've been keeping a journal pretty steadily (meaning I'd write several times a week for months at a time, then drop back to once in a few months) for the past ten years or so. I've been much more regular about it for the last five years or so.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yup.
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? Definitely not.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? I like Life cereal or Frosted Mini-Wheats. I'm not a big fan of fruity or chocolatey cereals or any kind of cheerio's.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? Not usually. Come to think of it, I think I only own one pair of shoes that ties, and I hardly ever wear them.
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? What kind of an ambiguious question is that? I'm not really very strong physically, but there are definitely issues that I don't bend on.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Mint chocolate has always been a favorite, but I really like Ben and Jerry's Strawberry Cheesecake (or anyone's Strawberry Cheesecake for that matter).
14. SHOE SIZE? 7.
5. RED OR PINK? Right now it's pink. But I really like red, too. I just don't have much of it.
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? I need to work on being less lazy.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? No one in particular, but I miss having a crowd of friends around that would just come over and talk about everything and nothing for a very long time.
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? Sure. Why not? It would be fun to see if anyone actually READS my blog aside from my secret pal! (Hi, Secret Pal!) :)
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS, SHIRT AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? Bluejeans, white tank top, pink cotton cardigan. No shoes.
20. LAST THING YOU ATE? A chicken sandwich on my way out the door for Institute class tonight.
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? My two cats chasing each other around the living room and some piano music.
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Purple
23. FAVORITE SMELL? Clean smells--like rain or citrus or clean laundry.
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? My friend Christina, who called to ask if I could give her a ride to class tonight.
25. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO? Eyes, I think.
26. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON you stole THIS from? I've actually never met her, but I like reading her blog.
27. FAVORITE DRINK? Pink Lemonade, hands down.
28. FAVORITE SPORT? Volleyball.
29. EYE COLOR? Hazel.
30. HAT SIZE? You know? I don't really know! Something medium, probably.
31. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? Sometimes. I hate the hassle of fighting with them in the morning to get them in, and taking them out every night when really I'd rather just got to sleep. But I think I look better in them than I do in glasses. ;)
32. FAVORITE FOOD? Pasta. No low-carb diets for me!
33. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Happy endings. Definitely happy endings.
35. SUMMER OR WINTER? I like winter--I love scarves and mittens and hats and sweaters!
36. HUGS OR KISSES? Hugs, I guess. I haven't tried any kisses!
37. FAVORITE DESSERT? Ice Cream.
38. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? I have no idea.
39. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Ditto.
40. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU READING? Emma by Jane Austen. Who am I kidding--I have "The Complete Novels" in one volume and I just skip around and read my favorite parts in all the stories!
41. WHAT'S ON YOUR MOUSE Pad? I don't have a mouse pad.
42. WHAT DID YOU WATCH LAST NIGHT ON TV? I don't own a TV but I watched a miniseries called "Wives and Daughters" on DVD on my computer the other day.
43. FAVORITE SOUNDS? Rain and thunder.
44. ROLLING STONE OR BEATLES? Not really a big fan of either. I've heard more Beatles songs, though.
45. THE FURTHEST YOU'VE BEEN FROM HOME? Russia. Twelve time zones away from my family--can't get much farther than that! (Well, not unless you drive a rocket).
46. WHAT'S YOUR SPECIAL TALENT? Thinking outside the box. For example, not long ago, I played a game called Scattergories and at one point we had to come up with a four-letter word that starts with "P" that no one else would think of. I wrote down "Profanity". It works, in an offbeat kind of way. :)
47. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Illinois.
48. WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? I shamelessly stole it from Cara.
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
But tonight, I realized that the shade on the lamp on my desk is REALLY big--big enough to hold a hank of Cascade 220! So I loosened the top screw, placed my hank on the shade, and voila! A ball of wool wound within a matter of one or two minutes, rather than forty-five!
Friday, October 13, 2006
As if I really needed another project on the needles, but I just couldn't wait to get started: An Eris cardigan. I expropriated the needles from the Bristow cardigan once I finished the Front Left piece I'd been working on and will be using them for Eris. I really ought to finish Bristow first, but oh, well! I've completed the collar and am now working on the yoke. The cardigan is made from Cascade 220, color #2412 , kind of a berry color.
I also have a new toy. I've always loved school supplies: folders, notebooks, pens, paper, stickers, binders, etc. A few years ago, my brother came out to make a campus visit to the school I was attending, and we went to the museum of art and looked around for a while. Then we went to the museum gift shop, and saw these dip pens made out of glass. They were so pretty and we both really liked them. We almost bought them, but it wasn't practical at the time. Last week, I saw a set on sale for pretty cheap elsewhere, and so I snatched it up!
Saturday, October 07, 2006
Thursday, October 05, 2006
I'm still working on Bristow. I've reached the first bindoffs for the armhole on the front left side. I don't know why I've set it aside the past week or two--with the decreases it will go much faster.
I also started another pair of socks, from the "chocolate raspberry" Koigu that Jennie sent me for SP8. I had intended to use them to make a different, more complicated pair, but I changed my mind and decided to make these "mindless knitting" socks.
Can I just say that I LOVE the colors of these socks? I love how pink and brown look together.
I've also got an Odessa hat still on the needles, but no pictures, since my AA batteries for my camera are in the charger at the moment.
I had to frog the green Odessa hat I started for my roommate's cousin. I didn't make it long enough. But that's okay--I will still enjoy making it again. I guess I'd better hurry, though: the cold weather's coming!